What Kids Are Missing?
Find creative ways to serve nutritious dishes
Studies done by the health department show that Filipino schoolchildren are deficient in eight (8) vital nutrients.
- Vitamin A helps eyesight, repairs body cells and tissues, protects against infection
Found in: Eggs, green and yellow vegetables, dairy products, liver.
- Vitamin C heals wounds, helps resist infection.
Found in: Citrus fruits, tomatoes, potatoes, green vegetables.
- Vitamin B1 helps produce energy, maintains appetite and nerve function, promotes growth
Found in: Enriched grains and cereals, pork, dried beans, seafood.
- Vitamin B2 is needed for food metabolism, healthy blood cells and mucous membranes
Found in: Milk products, green leafy vegetables, enriched grains, beef.
- Iron helps produce healthy red blood cells.
Found in: Meat, fish, poultry, beans, grains, green leafy vegetables.
- Folic Acid promotes healthy blood cells, protein metabolism and growth.
Found in: Green leafy vegetables, dried beans, poultry, fortified cereals, oranges, nuts.
- Calcium supports bones, teeth, muscle tissue; regulates heartbeat, muscle action, nerve function.
Found in: Milk products, calcium-fortified orange juice and soy milk, salmon with bones, green leafy vegetables.
- Iodine is needed by the thyroid gland, which controls metabolism.
Found in: Seafood, iodized salt.